John R. Barhoum
John is a civil litigator and trial lawyer. He specializes in insurance and retail defense litigation and has successfully handled hundreds of personal injury, employment, and construction defect cases in Oregon and Washington. John also has substantial expertise handling business and commercial litigation matters across the Northwest.
John was born and raised in Portland and went to Lewis & Clark College for his undergraduate and law degrees. He was ranked #1 in his class in 2001-2003, earning the prestigious West Group Award for outstanding scholastic achievement.
Growing up in the Northwest has enabled John to develop a deep connection with the community. His clients include a host of local small and medium size businesses, including construction companies, restaurants, medical providers, real estate professionals, property owners and managers, nurseries, and family owned businesses.
Areas of Practice
Breach of Contract
Deceptive Business Practice
John represents some of the largest companies in the world, including:
- Allstate Insurance Company
- American Family Insurance Company
- Ameriprise Insurance
- Applebee’s Restaurants
- Berkley North Pacific Group
- Bitco Insurance
- CNA Insurance
- Corvel Corporation
- Dick’s Sporting Goods, Inc.
- Gallagher Bassett
- The Gap
- J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
- McDonald’s Corp.
- Office Depot
- Office Max
- Rite Aid Corp.
- Thrifty Payless, Inc.
- T.J. Maxx
- Walmart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D. cum laude
Lewis and Clark College, B.A. in Political Science
- The Hiring Process Just Got a Little Harder: New EEOC Guidelines on Criminal Background Checks (Dunn Carney E-news)
- Co-Author, “Be Aware – SSA ‘No-Match’ Letters Are Back” (Dunn Carney E-news)
- Plaintiffs are Required to Produce Reports by Expert Witnesses Under ORCP 44(c)—a New Wrinkle on Oregon’s Trial by Ambush (Dunn Carney E-news)
- Oregon Chapter in Tort Law Desk Reference, a fifty-state compendium, published in 2005 by Aspen Publishers (article co-authored by Bruce Hamlin)
Professional Associations & Memberships
Oregon State Bar, Member
Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Multnomah Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association
Oregon Casualty Adjusters Association, Member
Happy Valley Business Alliance, Member
Honors & Awards
West Group Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement, 2003
Dean’s List, 2001 – 2004
Dean’s Fellowship for Excellence, 2001 – 2004